The school year runs from mid-September through the Friday after Memorial Day. Children may also attend a 2 week extended session in early June (additional fee). School holidays, vacations, and weather-related cancellations follow the Newton Public School schedule with some minor variations. Click here for the 2015-2016 NPS Calendar and click here for the 2016-2017 draft NPS Calendar. Our students are grouped into two classes by age:
Four Day Class
- Must be 2 years 9 months old by August 31st.
- 15 Children
- 3 Teachers and 1 Parent Helper
- Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9:00am to 12:00pm
Five Day Class
- Must be 3 years 9 months old by August 31st.
- 15 Children
- 2 Teachers and 1 Parent Helper
- Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 9:00am to 12:00pm
The Coop offers the following Extended Day options at extra cost:
- Early Drop Off: Daily 8:30am
- Extended Day: Monday through Friday 12:00 to 2:30.
During their afternoon stay days, the children enjoy a lunch brought from home and quiet activities with a smaller group of friends from both classes. All early drop off and extended day sessions are run by regular Coop teaching staff.
Food at School
The Coop takes food allergies very seriously. The Coop follows a strict peanut and tree nut free policy at all times.
A balanced, nutritious snack is provided daily by the school. Each year, we gather a list of allergies of all children attending the school, and we serve only snacks that avoid all known allergens.
Lunches for stay-days are brought from home. Careful measures – such as limiting lunch to a specific classroom – are taken as required to avoid cross-contamination and reduce exposure to allergens of allergic children.